Thursday 19 May 2016

current - Harmful to NPN transistor if collector circuit is broken?


Is there any harm to having a conventional switch that can open the circuit between the collector and +V with an NPN transistor? While the base is still being excited by a pin of my controller?



I am using a simple circuit to allow a micro controller to switch a light on and off. If it matters, the transistor in question is a TIP31 I found at Radio Shack.



Answer



No problem at all. The transistor 'degrades' to being a simple diode which receives some modest (I assume!) current from your controller.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...