Friday 13 May 2016

batteries - Discharging a capacitor to a battery supply [simple circuit]


If I have the following circuit... (resistor & capacitors values are made up)


circuit


...and I hold down SW3 until the capacitor is charged, then I release SW3 then hold down SW1 why wouldn't the capacitor discharge into the negative terminal of the battery? (according to the comment I posted on this question: Capacitors and simple circuit understanding)


I think I've misunderstand some fundamentals here, as in my mind this circuit would be OK.




Answer



SW3 doesn't charge the capacitor. I assume you mean SW1 to charge.


Closing SW3 grounds that part of the circuit but there is no ground connection anywhere else on your circuit so there is nowhere for current to flow. i.e., There is no "circuit" back to the battery through SW3 - just a dead-end branch.




Note: When using the built-in schematic editor just hit save rather than taking a screen-grab. That way you or we can edit the schematic or copy and edit in our answers.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...