Saturday 14 May 2016

uart - STM32 send from UART3 and receive on UART2



I thought to create a simple test to send and receive a buffer via UART. I succeeded in sending bytes from my PC to the nucleo bord and receiving them in blocking and non-blocking mode. But for some reason I can't succeed to send data from UART3 and receive the bytes on UART2.


I have a nucleo-f103rb and have the following pins setup:



  • UART2: tx=PA2;rx=PA3

  • UART3: tx=PB10;rx=PB11


And then the following code:


  while (1)
{
/* USER CODE END WHILE */

/* USER CODE BEGIN 3 */
if (HAL_UART_Transmit(&huart3, send, 2, 1000) == HAL_OK)
{
if (HAL_UART_Receive(&huart2, receive, 2, 1000) == HAL_OK)
{
HAL_GPIO_TogglePin(GPIOA, LD2_Pin);
}
}
}


All the boiler plate is generated using cube mx. So the UART 2 and 3 are all default, same for the button pins.



  • I connected the transmit pin of uart3 to the receiving pin of uart2

  • I connected the receive pin of uart3 to the transmitting pin of uart2 (while not used in this trivial example though)


What am I missing here?


Update


As comments and answers suggested, I shouldn't be using the blocking mode approach. So I rewrote it slightly to rely more on interrupts.


I attached a callback to the nucleo blue button


void HAL_GPIO_EXTI_Callback(uint16_t GPIO_Pin)

{
if (GPIO_Pin == B1_Pin)
{
HAL_UART_Transmit_IT(&huart3, (uint8_t *)send, 2);
}
}

And I added a callback for receiving stuff over uart


void HAL_UART_RxCpltCallback(UART_HandleTypeDef *huart)
{

/* Prevent unused argument(s) compilation warning */
UNUSED(huart);

/* NOTE : This function should not be modified, when the callback is needed,
the HAL_UART_RxCpltCallback can be implemented in the user file
*/

// Toggle the pin to see some proof that I received something
HAL_GPIO_TogglePin(LD2_GPIO_Port, LD2_Pin);


// Resubscribe uart2
HAL_UART_Receive_IT(&huart2, (uint8_t *)receive, 2);
}

In the main function I call the interrupt so that the callback is active.


while (HAL_UART_Receive_IT(&huart2, receive, 2) != HAL_OK);

__NOP();
while (1)
{

}

Again, when debugging through I do end up in the button released callback, but the callback on the uart receive isn't triggered. When I send stuff from the PC, it does. So it seems that sending stuff via uart3 isn't working. So I guess that must be the wiring.


enter image description here


But I really can't see what I am missing here, the pins are clearly defined in the pinout here: https://os.mbed.com/platforms/ST-Nucleo-F103RB/.


I hope the photo is clear enough, but this is how I connected them.


enter image description here




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...