Tuesday 31 May 2016

How to calculate parasitic capacitance in a trace?


I am given the equation for parasitic-capacitance as:


\$ C = \dfrac{\epsilon_r \cdot \epsilon_0 \cdot L \cdot W }{ d }\$


I am also told my trace is to be 1000 micrometers long (1mm) and 45nm wide. The spacing between traces is 45nm as well (and the thickness of the metal layer is 45nm). A second coplanar trace is 100 micrometers long (.1mm).

I am not sure what I am plugging into the equation. I understand that the adjacent trace will distort the signal on my original trace with noise, especially at high power or high frequency, which I assume is the point, but I need to calculate the actual capacitance. I don't mind doing the math, but I need to know what goes where in the equation.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...