Tuesday 3 May 2016

capacitor - Modify Ring Contact Sensor in a series of wired security reed switches


After reading the instructables post on the simplisafe sensor I modified the ring sensor and tried to integrate it with my wired sensors. This is what I found:


testing with a spooled wire about 20 feet worked fine


When I added the ring sensor into an actual wire run to a door I was able to register the door closing if the circuit was originally open but then after that the ring sensor would always display closed even when the door was opened


I saw the comments about adding resistors to the leads so I did that and I was able to register the door opening and closing successfully.


I then tried to add another 2 door sensors in series and the initial problem came back. So I had to add another resistor


So now I have 3 4.7k resistors and I am able to monitor 4 doors total. But on my second zone of sensors wired in series I cannot get it to work. This zone has 5 sensors but I have also tried it with 4 and tried to wire it the same as the first.



The problem on this zone is the first 2 sensors in the series will register an open and close fine, and the last sensor will register fine, but if I open the 2 windows in the middle the ring sensor will still see it as closed.


I have searched and found a few posts of people saying that they have had success by adding a capacitor to the circuit but I am unclear on how exactly they did this. Here are all the links I have found and maybe someone else can explain this better.



What these people are saying is there is AC voltage induced into the circuit and adding a capacitor somehow fixed their issue.


I don't understand why the sensors in the middle of the circuit will not register the opening of the circuit. I know this is a strange issue but maybe someone else has knowledge that will help solve this problem. If this is AC voltage from surrounding wiring how would a capacitor be wired into the series circuit to fix the problem?


I originally had this as an answer on a related post Integrate residential hardwired alarm zone with modern wireless sensor




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...