Saturday 7 May 2016

power - RCD tripped when measuring with a scope


Below was my setup:


enter image description here The moment I connected the probe the RCD tripped.


My scope was earth grounded. Does that mean I shorted the neutral and the earth ground? I know that neutral and earth are connected somewhere outside the building or at the utility transformer. But I completely forgot about it.


And what can I do to prevent that that? Which one is a safe solution: using an unearthed plug for the scope or a 1:1 isolation transformer? Any ideas?


1:1 isolation transformer might not be okay for all cases and might corrupt the original waveform?





No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...