Monday 2 May 2016

Soft Start for transformer


I have a 230v to 110v transformer which I use to power some equipment. I saw on the internet that some power transformers need a soft start circuit. The power of my transformer is 200VA. On the internet is specified that only transformers with a power over 300VA require a soft start circuit. I also read on the internet that if I connect the transformer to 230v there is a high current which goes through the primary winding for a short period of time.



My questions are: Do I need a soft start for my 200va transformer?


What happens if I connect some equipment (for example a soldering station or an oscilloscope) to the secondary of the 200va and after that I connect the transformer to 230v?


Is possible to appear in the secondary a voltage bigger than 110v which can damage my equipment?



Answer



Transformer primary windings can take an inrush of excessive current when voltage is supplied. If the AC voltage is activated at the peak of the waveform then there is no problem; if the AC voltage is activated at a zero cross there can be problems: -


enter image description here


It only affects the transformer primary current and is due to the magnetization of the core. It won't increase the output voltage i.e. it won't generate an excessive secondary voltage so there is no worries in this respect but, it can blow primary fuses occasionally.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...