Saturday 21 May 2016

Experimentally measuring the gain of an amplifier with noise


Normally rms value and the mean value of a perfect DC voltage is same.


So lets say I want to measure the gain of an amplifier.


I first apply an offset Vin_off to the inputs, then I measure Vout_off.


Then I apply Vin to the inputs, then I measure Vout.


So I calculate the gain as:


\$G_{dB} = 20 \ \log_{10}([Vo_{mean} - Vo_{off-mean}]\ / [Vi_{mean}-Vi_{off-mean}])\$


Basically I measure the gain by calculating the ratio of the change in output voltage to the change on input voltage.


But as you see I use mean values..


What if the input and output signals also have some noise on them?



Should the mean values or instead rms values be used as:?


\$G_{dB} = 20 \ \log_{10}([Vo_{rms}-Vo_{off-rms}]/[Vi_{rms}-Vi_{off-rms}])\$




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...