Thursday 23 May 2019

led - Make adjustable mosfet constant current source


I want to modify this circuit below so the current can be trimmed.


The problem is the variations in base-emitter voltage of the NPN transistor. According to datasheets, it is between 0.55V and 0.7V with a collector-emitter current of 2mA. I need to trim the current through the LEDs to 0.35A, using a potentiometer of 100 ohms or greater.


How could I modify this circuit? The supply will be well regulated.


schematic



simulate this circuit – Schematic created using CircuitLab


Thanks



Answer



Do you have enough headroom to increase the current sensing resistor slightly an drive the BJT from a potmeter in parallel?


schematic


Of course you could optimize R3 to a series of resistors with ratios 270:100:180, where 270 is near ground, 100 is your pot and 180 at source.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...