Thursday 9 May 2019

layout - What's the schematic to share one crystal with two micros?


How do I share a single crystal (not a complete oscillator module) between two micros? Is it OK to just connect everything as normal for the first micro and also directly connect its XO to the XI of the second microcontroller? I expect to place the micros very close together on the board.



Answer



What I have done when I needed to share a clock between micros is to have the crystal drive the oscillator on one micro and then use the oscillator output pin (typically CLKOUT or OSCOUT) from that micro to drive the second micro.


I would expect problems trying to drive two oscillators from the same crystal, if for no other reason than that the capacitance of the long PCB traces required to go between the two processors would cause a malfunction.


schematic


simulate this circuit – Schematic created using CircuitLab


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...