Monday 6 May 2019

arduino mosfet solenoid


I'm trying to drive a solenoid with an arduino pro. I've assembled the typical MOSFET approach with a protection rectifier:


Diagram


The circuit works, and the solenoid is triggered, but very weakly. In other words: it moves, but as soon as I attach what I want it to move, it doesn't have enough force to move it anymore. It works perfectly fine if I connect it straight to 12V, though. What might I be doing wrong?


The MOSFET is a BUZ91A.


The Solenoid is a 12 V ZYE1-0530Z (there seems to be 12V and 24V versions with the same part number). I couldn't find any specs regarding the impedance of this things, but I've measured 5 of them and they were all between 10.5 and 11 Ohms.


R2 is 2Mohm, no complaints there.



D1 is an 1N4001


I've tried increasing the voltage up to 16V and it gets better, but still weaker than directly supplying 12V from my PSU.


I suspect I'm not providing enough current, probably related to picking the wrong MOSFET?


I've tried a similar approach but using a TIP122 darlington array pretty much with the same results.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...