Thursday 16 May 2019

voltage - How do I calculate the gain of an op-amp summing amplifier?


So if I have a summing amplifier circuit like the one below: Summing Amplifier


I know the Vin1, Vin2, and Vout value and the circuit is designed such that Vout = -(Vin1+2Vin2) but how do I calculate the gain? I know on a normal op-amp circuit with one input source the gain is just Vout/Vin. But if I have two input sources then will my gain be Vout/(Vin1+Vin2)?


On PSPICE I set the DC and ACMAG values for the input voltages to 2V, and Vout is -6. So it works out right, but still what is the gain?



Answer



Gain is set for each \$ V_{in} \$.


\$ A_{Vin1} = -\dfrac{R_3}{R_1}\$.


\$ A_{Vin2} = -\dfrac{R_3}{R_2}\$.



and so on, \$ A_{Vin N} = -\dfrac{R_3}{R_N}\$.


If you were to analyze this circuit using superposition, you would find that for each input signal, it is just an inverting amplifier. The signals are amplified or attenuated individually. Therefore, gain is only a meaningful quantity with respect to each individual signal. Since gains are all independent of each other, summing them does not yield a meaningful result.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...