Tuesday 14 May 2019

power - Finding a CPU's Capacitive Load


I am very very new to the electronic engineering side of things but I am taking a class on Computer Architecture. I have ran into a problem.


Power = Capacitive Load * Voltage ^ 2 * Frequency Switched.


I have a hard time understanding what capacitive load is. Let's say I have a CPU with the following specs.


Uses 3.3 Volts
Requires 29.1 Watts
Has a clock rate of 200 Mhz

How would I use these three bits of info to find a capacitive load? Can I? I'm not sure if I am going about this correctly. Help is appreciated! :)



Answer




This is a simple arranging to resolve the equation for Capacitive load. Like so


\$ \frac{Power}{Voltage^2 \times frequency} = Capacitive Load \$


With the numbers you gave we get:


\$ \frac{29.1}{3.3^2 \times 200*10^6} = 1.33\times 10^{-8} \mathrm{F} \$


F is farads the unit for capacitance.


I have assumed that the given equation takes power to be in watts.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...