Friday 30 January 2015

speakers - Combine stereo audio amplifier outputs


I got this receiver. Its output power is 2 x 30W on 8 ohms. My question is: is it possible to combine the power from these 2 channels and connect both channels to a single 60W speaker? And if it's possible what will I need. My goal is to connect just 1 bass speaker to the whole receiver, using its whole power.



Answer



This is possible in some amplifiers and it's called "bridging" or a "bridge tied load" configuration. You need an inverting stage in front of one of the channels to make it inverting. The input signal is then split into the two channels and the output is taken as the potential difference between the two channel outputs. You have to be careful here because since the maximum voltage swing is twice, on paper, it looks like a quadrupling of the power is possible; it would be foolhardy to assume that this can actually be obtained.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...