Saturday 24 January 2015

power engineering - Why are the ground and neutral bonded in my panel?


I took a look inside my panel today and saw a big green wire connected to the neutral bus bar. Why are these two bonded together? Why not just send the neutral back where it came from? Where does the neutral line go once it leaves my house? Are the neutral and ground also bonded at the electric meter?



Answer




According to the North American electrical code (US and Canada), Neutral and Safety Ground must be bonded at the service entrance (or main breaker panel). The green wilre will also be connected to Earth via a ground rod driven into the earth near the service entrance. Neutral will also be grounded at the power pole and distribution transformer.


All this grounding ensures that the AC wiring is kept near earth potential, and won't drift up to 12 KV due to a fault in the distribution transformer.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...