Tuesday 6 January 2015

i2c - Why is a resistor needed in zener protection circuit?


I have decided to add zener overvoltage protection to the I2C lines of my device. After some searching I have found that the most used circuit is:


enter image description here


So my question is why do we need R3 and R4? If they are for limiting zener current why are not they connected as:


enter image description here



I have picked SDA and SCL but I think the same is for all other I/O.



Answer



So, let's do the math here.


Image these real-world figures: R3 = R4 = 100 Ohm, Zener = 4.7V, Vcc = 5.0V,


In scenario 1 (top picture):


You are naughty and apply 12v to the I²C SDA-input (The right side of R3).


The current flows through R3 and D1.




  • The voltage drop over D1 is 4.7V (over-simplified).





  • The voltage drop over R3 is 12V - 4.7V = 7.3V




  • The current through both R3 and D1 is 7.3V / 100E = 0.073A




  • The power dissipated in D1 is 0.073A * 4.7V = 0,3431W





So, if you chose a 0.5W zener diode package, the zener does not explode. The voltage seen by the SDA pin is 4.7 volt. So your I²C device is not blown up.


Scenario 2 (the bottom picture):


You once again apply 12V to the input SDA input. The current once again flows through R3 and D1 in the same way it does in scenario 1:



  • The voltage drop over D1 is 4.7V

  • The voltage drop over R3 is 7.3V

  • The current flowing through R3 and D1 is 0.073A

  • The power dissipated is 0.3431W so the diode doesn't blow up.



But... The voltage at the pin of your I²C device is now the full 12V. Because all voltage is dropped over R3 and D1 combined. This will damage your component.


I hope this makes it somewhat clear how the zener protection works.




Addendum: If you want to know what happens when R3 and R4 are too low, make the calculations again with R3 = R4 = 1 Ohm. (Zener will dissipate +/-34W and blow up). If you make R3 and R4 too high, then the zener might not operate as intended (they need some amount of current to zener at the correct voltage).


Also, if the other devices connected to your I²C signals pull the bus low, the logic level will be shifted upwards.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...