Thursday 4 July 2019

switch mode power supply - How to cure SMPS output to get upset by a switching device


I have been having ringing spike issues at the output of SMPS power supplies. I don't know what is this phenomenon is about but it is definitely related to switching devices on the same electrical network. When a switch or switching device is on the same electrical network. The switching device upsets the SMPS output. This is directly related to my previous question. Bu that time I didn't figure out the issue starts with SMPS output getting upset.


To demonstrate that I used a grinder as shown below:


enter image description here


And next to the grinder from the same power strip a 5V SMPS is powered.


Here is the output of the 5V power supply and the spikes "during" the short time the grinder is swithcing ON:


enter image description here


And here looks like high frequency ringing when AC coupled:


enter image description here


The problem is this power supply noise propagates through all sensitive devices it powers.



Does anybody have experience with such phenomenon? I even tried with EMI power line filter and isolation transformer but it didn't help. I guess SMPS already have filters at their input. Is there a way to filter out this at the power supply output? Would that issue happen with a linear supply?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...