Sunday 21 July 2019

transistors - Why can't class A amp drive 8 ohm speaker with just one BJT?


I designed this class A amplifier. It's my first attempt at designing an amplifier with transistors. My objective is to build a guitar amplifier with tubes, but I figured that building an amp with BJTs and a low-voltage power supply first will enable me to understand what's going on before I attempt anything more complicated.



I want to drive an 8-ohm speaker. The problem, of course, is that if I connect RS, the speaker, suddenly the AC signal sees basically 8 ohms to ground and can't develop any voltage at the Q1 collector.


I think that the proper way to do this is to connect the Q1 collector to the base of another transistor, Q2, configured as an emitter follower, and drive the speaker from the emitter of Q2.


But what I'd like to understand is, what is the limiting factor that prevents me from driving the speaker from Q1? I have a fuzzy understanding that I need Q1 to provide voltage amplification and then an emitter follower to provide the current to drive the speaker, but I don't understand why I can't get both in one place, since all the power is ultimately coming from the same power supply. Is there a way to enable this circuit to drive an 8-ohm speaker without adding a second transistor?


schematic


simulate this circuit – Schematic created using CircuitLab




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...