Sunday 23 June 2019

batteries - Modifying a Simple Transformer Circuit


I have a heavy 14.4V 1.5A heavy battery charger I would like to use to charge my car battery (over time, monitored for heat in a well ventilated area).



When I plug the battery to the charger as is, I believe it turns off as the led doesn't turn on and the Voltage I read is 10.8 which is what the battery is at. When I measure the charger on it's own I get 13V.


Can someone help me modify it to make it work? I'm comfertable soldering and researching if you don't feel like giving a specific answer :). Images of the transformer and circuit:


Transformer


Circuit


Details


Thanks in advance for any efforts :)


Edit - I sketched a diagram of the circuit on tinyCad, here it is: circuit


I noticed that there is an earth connection for the battery, but only 2 connections to the wall socket. I don't get how it would be earthed, but perhaps the third connection is needed to turn it on? It is directly connected to one of the switch's 4 'legs'.



Answer



It looks like you're trying to repurpose a charger that was originally intended for some sort of tool battery, judging from the socket built into the case.



It also appears that said battery leaked at some point into the charger, given all of the crud all over the case, contacts and PCB.


You really need to clean the corrosion off of everything, and verify that all of the connections on the PCB and the rest of the wiring are still good.


The relay is probably there to switch between "fast" and "trickle" charging modes, as indicated by the labels on the LEDs. It would be worth your while to trace out the circuit and draw a schematic diagram, so that we all have a reference for further discussion.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...