Sunday 23 June 2019

ferrite bead - Magnetic core transfer loops (logic)


I have an interest in "alternative" logic gates, as in not silicon transistors. I have built RAM in a little game called "Powder Game", constructed "one-off" logic gates out of exploding lattices of popsicle sticks, and used electromechanical devices such as motors and relays. Right now, I'm intensely interested in magnetic cores. I would like to somehow experiment with these myself, but short of purchasing the equipment to do so, I haven't found a way. I am hoping that there is, perhaps, a free piece of software that would let me experiment with trying to make logic with magnetic cores. Can anybody help me find one?


Here is a PDF to describe what I am talking about: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?arnumber=04051986



Answer




You can buy vintage bare 45,000 cores here for $US49.00, with free international shipping from Bulgaria. Find 9 other friends interested in sharing and you have 4,500 each for $5.


One bit core memory project - liable to be of high interest. Use a suitable ferrite bead if needs be. Drive levels etc need looking at.


This vintage core memory board costs $400 on ebay BUT I have bought similar here for about nothing and while they are rarer than way back then they are probably still available for looking as electronic junk.


Almost any small ferrites with a hole in them will do - including RF decoupling beads. Or you could wrap a coil around a stick core etc. You can also just use iron or steel with due attention to characteristics. A steel nail with a suitable amp-turns pulse will be magnetised. Not the most efficint core memory but doable.


How to drive one


Very useful


Useful


Old discussion -2010 - may be some use


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...