Wednesday 26 June 2019

power supply - Can a CM choke be used to suppress common mode current in a DC circuit?


I have a setup with a DC/DC converter like in the figure below. I need to minimize common mode current on the supply input.



There are no other connections besides Vsupply + and - and Rload + and -.


setup


I'm in doubt whether a CM choke will help reducing the CM current. And how would it need to be connected to the grounds of the DC/DC and the load. I've drawn to ways to connect it, but I'm not happy with either one.


schematic


simulate this circuit – Schematic created using CircuitLab In this circuit the Supply is separated from the buck and the load with a CM choke. But because the CM choke is in the supply GND - load GND path, this increases the transfer impedance. (The choke is depicted by L1 and L2)


schematic


simulate this circuit With this connection, the transfer impedance issue is solved, but now the CM choke is partly in the feedback loop.


Can I use a CM choke to reduce CM currents to the supply? How? Should I use a different filter?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...