Wednesday 26 June 2019

How to join high current wiring?


I need to join 4 wires together: a 6 gauge wire, two 10 gauge wires and a 22 gauge wire. The 6 gauge wire is the current source, the two 10 gauge wires will draw a continuous current of up to 30A and the 22 gauge wire about 20 mA. I need to do that twice - one for each leg of a 208/240v circuit. This is for an electric vehicle charging application.


I have been using a large size wire nut for this, but twice now it has failed due to overheating.


Left to my own devices, my next attempt would be with a split bolt, but then I'm going to need to wrap it all in a mile of electrical tape.


This is all going to be inside of a sealed chassis. The chassis will be portable, but all of the wires will have strain relief at the chassis entrance.



Answer



Look for a "power distribution terminal block" or a "terminal bus bar." These are designed to land wires of various sizes and secure with a terminal screw, like the grounding terminals in your circuit breaker panel. Obviously you will need to ensure that the block or strip is insulated from other circuits as appropriate.


You may want to add crimp terminals/space lugs on the ends of your wires.


Terminal Bus Bar Example Spade Lug Example



Terminal bus bar, left; spade lug, right.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...