Sunday 9 June 2019

safety - How to have a bad power supply fail safely?



I just read this article: iPad charger teardown: inside Apple's charger and a risky phony


Basically I would like to see by myself the effects of a bad power supply failing.



Can it be done safely?


Edit: Here are the reasons why I want to see it happen.


I would never buy a shitty power supply like this one (~3€ on eBay) for a device which costs around 500€, but considering the really low price, I am willing to spend some time to see what would have happened if I had bought and used this one. As mentioned in the article, one person seems to have died because of a badly insulated charger. So basically, I want to replicate the typical use case of such a power supply, and safely see how it fails. Will it explode, will it slowly die, or just stop working? I certainly am not going to plug my iPad in it. I am ready to spend a small amount of money on disposable electronic components if necessary. I hope this clarifies why I want to have it fail. And of course, my main concerns in this experiment are my own safety, and not to damage anything else beside the charger and the circuit that will draw current from it.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...