Monday 1 April 2019

identification - Identify unknown capacitor and resistor values


How can I find out what the values of R12 and C3 are?


R12 and C3 values



Answer




The joys of small SMT components. You have often have no way of knowing without measuring it.


Usually resistors will have some text telling you something, but decoding it isn't reliable. I have seen enough variation on what is on a resistor, that I would recommend putting a meter across it and measuring it. That being said, R52 does have a "0" on it, I'd expect it to be a zero ohm link.


Capacitors are even worse. I don't think I've ever seen ceramic SMT caps with anything useful on them. Luckily you can get meters for capacitors, usually on the higher end digital multi-meters.


Importantly though, do these measurements with the components OFF the PCB. Otherwise you'll be measuring the value of the PCB, not the component.


EDIT: as mentioned in comment, the datasheet for U2 may help and may be a useful sanity check.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...