Tuesday 30 April 2019

pcb - About waterproofing a circuit board


I would like to waterproof an FR4 circuit board that has no external connectivity requirements other than permanently attached USB cable, but it does have a number of SMD LEDs that must show. Most significant other components are an TSSOP20 MSP430 microcontroller and an LM4970. Power is via a small rechargable 3.7 volt LiPo battery.


Also, the board is to be fitted in a shoe heel(!), so adding an additional waterproof enclosure is not feasible. The water exposure is essentially moisture build-up, not actual soaking (hopefully). The device needs to last just a few months to a year.


What are my options and and what problems would I face?




  • If I use potting epoxy, will there be heat build-up?

  • If I simply use a see-through latex balloon will that survive circuit board heat?


Is there any additional detail I could add to make this question clearer?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...