Sunday 28 April 2019

How can I control high voltage signals? (1 to 15kV.)


I'm an embedded s/w guy, but I'm able to do low voltage circuits without too much trouble. So I will try to ask this question on high voltages!


I've got a power supply running at 1 to 15kV. It runs constant voltage, always on. The power supply provides a charge for ejecting water droplets. See this video to see what I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h8I6J_p6AM


I need to control the charge (on or off) for the electrode. What approaches might work?


Spec wise: 1-15kV, KHz-level frequency for switching.


Here's what I got brain storming wise:




  • Control from the low voltage side. Don't apply an AC signal to the transformer. (But currently using off the shelf PSU.)

  • IGBT. They're on the expensive side the higher max rating. Also seem to be focused on high current applications. And apparently they can be slow (haven't gotten very deep with the specs).

  • Cascode. I saw some circuits and papers that seemed to suggest I could use this approach, but there is a lot I don't understand.

  • Some kind of virtual ground method? Say 10kV and 9kV. (AC coupled control signal?)


This is a beyond my abilities. Some thoughts would be very useful. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...