Thursday 1 November 2018

electrocution - Why won't you get electrocuted with a car battery unless you touch ground and positive?



First, if you have a better suggestion for title I'm really opened to suggestions, but it is the best I came up with.


If I touch an electric line and the earth, I will get electrocuted.


However, if I touch the positive of a car battery, people told me the same thing won't happen...why is it?


It seems I need to touch the battery positive and the battery ground.



Answer



For current to flow through your body, two conditions must be met:




  1. There must be a complete electrical loop. Static electricity excluded, electricity only goes somewhere if it has a path to come back. Electric lines are grounded in multiple locations. Your car battery isn't.

  2. The voltage must be high enough to go through your skin, which is a weak electrical barrier. For a dry skin, a ballpark figure is 20V.


Touching only the positive post of a car battery, none of the two conditions are met.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...