Thursday 29 November 2018

How to efficiently heat a lithium-ion battery so that it can be charged in sub-zero environment?


A common knowledge and practice on lithium-ion batteries is that they significantly loose the capacity and cannot be charged when their temperature drops below 0 deg of Celsius due to increased degradation (lithium plating). I'd like to charge the 1.2Ah lithium-ion battery from a solar panel but in winter season (sometines minus 25 deg C) some pre-heating would be required.


The lithium-ion batteries heat up when loaded and I wonder if this phenomena can be smartly used. Is this a common practice? Are there any ICs or known circuits that would control this process? What other options do I have except for using a lead-acid battery?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...