Friday 1 July 2016

sdram - Why DRAM costs much more than flash memory?


Comparing prices at a local store, I calculated prices 0.36 USD/GB for SSD NAND flash memory and 5.41 USD/GB for DRAM memory. The difference is 15 times. Why so big difference?


Both are semiconductor devices. Memory cells of both types occupy approximately the same die area: 4 F^2 for NAND flash memory, 6 F^2 for DRAM. (I can't give a good source; this information is scattered over the internet.) MLC of flash memory gives 2 times improvement. (BTW, is the same technology possible for DRAM?) I can't blame market forces because both markets seem similar to me in terms of competition, maturity, and size. For example, DRAM revenue 35.74e9 USD, SSD revenue 10.9e9 USD in 2013.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...