Sunday 24 July 2016

capacitor - Does the voltage across an electrolytic cap significantly alter its lifespan?


I've heard two sides to this question: Does the voltage across an electrolytic capacitor significantly alter its lifespan?



  1. Yes, it does. The rating should be 1.5x - 2.5x the expected voltage.

  2. No, it doesn't - and United Chemi-Con say so themselves. (Search "(a) Operating Voltage")



I'm more inclined to believe UCC, but I've seen the 1.5x-2.5x rule applied on commercial high reliability designs too (even when the rails were never expected to exceed cap rating, for example an overvoltage protection circuit is used.) I've also seen the opposite in high reliability designs, for example one oscilloscope (which is still going after 19 years) seemed to use a combination of both.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...