Monday 18 July 2016

What is the effect on lithium ion batteries from long term storage in sub-freezing temperatures?


I am designing an off-grid power system for a mountain cabin that is not used in the winter. The ambient temperature can get as low as -20deg F (-29deg C) during the winter. Due to snow and other environmental factors the system will be totally shut down during the winter months. I hope to use lithium ion batteries. I know I cannot charge the batteries at these temperatures, but can lithium ion batteries be totally disconnected and stored at -20deg F (-29deg C) without damage?



Note: I can set the charge level to whatever is appropriate before storage.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...