Monday 4 July 2016

LM317 based power supply with current limiting


I'm trying to build my own Bench Power Supply but I'm having a hard time to find a good design (circuit/project) for it.


Here are my requirements:




  • Input: main using a 18V 2A transformer

  • Output: 0-18V

  • Current: 0-1.5A

  • Current Limiting controlled by a potentiometer

  • Voltage output controlled by a potentiometer

  • And I'd love it to be based on the LM317


I know there are some designs with two LM317, one limiting current and the other controlling the voltage output, but I couldn't find any good reference for those circuits.



Answer




There is a schematic in the ON-Semi datasheet


enter image description here


It needs a negative voltage that feeds the two depletion mode JFETs, they operate as constant current sources and in conjunction with the two diodes connected to the output provide about -1.4V to the pot.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...