Friday 22 July 2016

circuit analysis - Why still use decibels in the 21st century?


I understand what a decibel is, the spirit of the question is different: why do we still use decibels (and with at least two different, context-specific definitions), if we have the feat of scientific notation? I dare to claim that the change of 5e-1 (which is a half) is much more readable than 3dB (voltage? power?). 1e6 is more clear than 120dB, etc. Just for the joy of adding? 3dB + 7dB is 10dB, but 2e5+3e6 is errrm... I see many new datasheets from the top vendors (LTC, for example) use the V/V convention, which is closer to the scientific notation than to the decibels. An upcoming paradigm change?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...