Friday 8 July 2016

Delay in 4-bit ripple carry adder?


enter image description here



In pic below I have drawn a full adder and mentioned their delays, please help me to verify my answer.


enter image description here



Answer



It took me a while but here's how it is :


The first carry and sum will be available after 4.8 us. This should be straight forward.


However, for the subsequent stages, you need to keep in mind that the output of half adders is already there at 2.4 us. So in a sense, it is already computed. The remaining half adder for each full adder is just waiting for the previous carry, which when available from the previous stage can be processed in 2.4 us. So each next stage will take only 2.4 us each.


The catch here is that half of the output in each next stage is already computed, only half needs to be processed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...