Sunday 30 September 2018

layout - How do components on a ground plane of monopole pcb antenna effect radiation/efficiency?


I am trying to design a 2 layer PCB including two transceivers (GSM module + Zigbee IC) with internal PCB monopole antennas. I managed to have a solid ground plane on non-component side as recommended in general. Now I would like to insert a touch screen display which covers the most of that solid ground plane. Here's a screenshot (GSM only)


image



I read a ground plane completing a monopole antenna would behave as dipole antenna. Since this ground is covered with a lcd display, the performance would be affected, right?


How do cell phones manage this issue?


Also if a monopole antenna radiates in one direction opposed to ground plane, why no ground plane under antenna is a must?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...