Friday 14 September 2018

stepper motor - Low cost high precision linear position sensor




I am trying to find a low cost high accuracy linear position sensor that can be used in a hobby 3D printer. Almost all current 3D printer designs rely on stepper motors to provide positioning but I want something that works on positioning info rather than assuming the motor will do what it's told. After a few hours of searching I have found lots of technologies that provide high accuracy sensing but they are all sold by companies who tailor make a whole system for application and require that you request a quote. I am assuming that things are probably insanely expensive and not something for a hobbyist. I am obviously not a professional and would just like to find out if any of you know of a technology I can use that should not really be more expensive than stepper motors?


PS. The type of accuracy I am looking for is about 0,01mm.



Answer



You can use the optical part of a very sensitive laser mouse for a PC. I have seen that type of optical system provide extremely good resolution - and cost is down where you want it.


This one appears to have around 0.02mm resolution: http://www.parallax.com/sites/default/files/downloads/28560-MouseSensor-MCS-12086-Datasheet.pdf I am sure you can get something better.


Be prepared to work a lot with the algorithms to get reliable absolute position. Good thing is you know the approximate speed and position already plus you can have a consistent good surface to track on. Let me know how it goes?


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...