Monday 17 September 2018

level shifting - UART: interfacing b/w 3.3V and 2.4V - current limiting resistor


I need to interface a 2.4V IC and a 3.3V IC via UART i/f. The VIH spec of the 3V3 IC is low enough to allow UART_TX_2V4 to be directly connected to UART_RX_3V3. My main concern is the UART_RX_2V4 pin which would see 3.3V levels and see current sinking in to its protection diodes. TO deal with this, I can have a current limiting resistor - shown in circuit below.




  1. Is this an acceptable way of interfacing or is there something I tend to lose by not going for a level shifter?

  2. Also - what spec would be I need to check on the 2V4 IC side to make sure that the UART_RX_2V4 pad is not damaged?


schematic


simulate this circuit – Schematic created using CircuitLab




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...