Friday 10 June 2016

mosfet - Understanding Vgs(th) on a datasheet



I am trying to understand the Vgs threshold on this datasheet. it says that the maximum is 1.45v but I have switched with 3.3 from a microcontroller. am i damaging the mosfet using this voltage?



Answer



Maximum voltages and other limit values are specified under "Absolute maximum ratings" usually: -


enter image description here



So the gate-source voltage should not exceed + or - 12 volts and, as a design recommendation I'd keep below +/- 10 volts. And, if you look at the forward characteristic of the device here: -


enter image description here


There is very little reason to go to a gate-source voltage beyond 5 volts. If you need that extra bit of conductivity with higher than 5 volt operation on the gate you should consider a better device.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...