Wednesday 8 June 2016

mains - How to connect an AC line filter


I am trying to connect an AC line filter (rated for 115/250VAC) on the load side of a 24VAC transformer (part# BPD2G, datasheet here).


The first filter model I used is Delta's 03DBAW5.


03DBAW AC Line Filter


From the datasheet, I couldn't really figure out what each wire was. I assumed the green/yellow cable is the neutral line, so I connected that to the ESD cable on my workbench to ground it. I also figured, since this is supposed to be chassis mounted, that the metal shield of the filter should also be grounded, so I clipped one of the side mounting holes to the ESD ground cable as well.



I then connected the input brown and blue wires to the output screws of the 24VAC transformer, which was plugged into a 120VAC wall socket. The output brown and blue wires of the filter I connected to the power input of my device (which can take up to 60VAC/DC and has a full-bridge rectifier plus step-down converter and LDOs to power the device at 5VDC and 3.3VDC).


I measured the voltage at the output of the filter (input to my device) and saw 12VAC across it. Before I could measure the voltage at the input to the filter (it should read 24VAC from the transformer), I noticed that the outlet/transformer had started smoking and immediately unplugged it.


What have I done wrong? Is this filter only usable on the high side?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...