Thursday 9 June 2016

circuit protection - Should I use two fuses for 220V mains?


I'm designing a product that will be fed directly from 220V mains. The 220V goes into a PCB that has a high voltage section and a AC/DC converter module to generate low voltage to the microelectronics.


When using 110V I always use a input fuse for overcurrent protection in one of the mains wire (Live or Neutral - whatever...).


For 220V, since I have two 110V phases, should I use one fuse or two fuses (one in each phase)?



I think that using a single fuse should be suffice. However if one of the fuses blows and the other stays intact the board still have a hot main wire attached. Even if no current flows because the other phase is out, there's still possibility of electrical shock or worse... am I thinking right?




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...