Friday 24 June 2016

data - What exactly are 'pins'?


I actually ran into this question just a few moments ago:


https://serverfault.com/questions/12025/intro-to-laptop-hard-drives


The first answer is the one that caught my attention.


Apparently, there are pins created for data flow (information) and other pins made for power supply. And I am currently not aware of any, but that means there may be pins for other things as well.


Are data pins and power pins identical to each other (meaning are they made of same material, configuration, structure, etc)? I have never taken an EE class before, so I was also wondering how the number of pins are decided upon (for instance, in that jpg image there are 6 data pins and 9 power pins).




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...