Wednesday 1 June 2016

Special USB Port With "Sensor" Contact


I've bought these special upright USB Type A ports with a "Sensor Contact" (the stray pin I've marked "Sensor Contact Pin"). I've been Googling on how they work, as well as sent about a half dozen emails to the tech support guy at the company (FCI) they come from asking the same question(s) like "How does it work?" and "Do you have examples?", and gotten nothing back but "They have the same pinout as other USB A ports", but not any relevant, helpful answers.



So that's why I'm turning to you guys. My assumption is that when a device is plugged in, it provide +5V through the "sensor" contact, which I could hook to an MCU or transistor or something.


What do you guys think?


Here's the Mouser page


Front Face - USB Type A with Sensor Contact Pins - USB Type A with Sensor Contact



Answer



The USB socket pins out the same as any other upright "flag" style. The sensor pin does indeed go to GND when a USB plug is inserted. Here are my pinout diagrams as well as the EAGLE FCI library with the included USB port in question. Hope this helps all ya'll out!


USB Type A Upright Flag Connector with Sense Contact 1 USB Type A Upright Flag Connector with Sense Contact 2


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...