Saturday 3 October 2015

polyfuse - PTC Fuses and Low Current Circuit Protection


I would like to have some overcurrent protection in a circuit that normally does not draw much current (~100mA max.) I like the idea of PTC fuses, but they seem to be extremely slow in disconnecting power from these types of circuits.


Why do PTC fuses exist with low trip currents if they are slow to react? Wouldn't that make the protection ineffective?


Assuming I were to use a PTC fuse, how does it behave when the current is between the hold current and trip current?


Are there any alternatives to fuses for overcurrent protection?





No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...