Thursday 29 October 2015

Device/circuit for high current, short pulse discharge?


I'm tasked with replacing a relay with a semiconductor switch in a high voltage, high current, short pulse duration application (all relative, I concede). Basically I'm charging a capacitor up to ~1kV and dumping it through a low-impedance load. The di/dt requirements are pretty gnarly: ~400A with a ~300ns pulse width. Due to other constraints it has to be a high-side switch, too.


schematic



simulate this circuit – Schematic created using CircuitLab


I originally tried using a high-power SCR, but all viable devices I've found have a di/dt limit of 100~150A/us, whereas I'm in need of about 2500A/us.


schematic


simulate this circuit


My next plan of attack is using an IGBT with a gate-drive transformer, though I'll have to make sure to keep the leakage inductance low.


schematic


simulate this circuit


My question, though, is if anyone has another approach to consider? The isolation is a bit of a PITA but that's the route I'll take if it's the most practical.


EDIT: we were using these voltage-controlled solidtrons which worked perfectly (in a 5-lead TO-247-ish package) but now this is no longer an option.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...