Monday 26 October 2015

power supply - Source switch between two batteries


I've found several answers on switching between an Adapter and a Battery. But I need to autmoatically switch between two batteries. One of them is 'hotplugable'.


Problem: I've got a Solarcell which charges a ~16000mAh Li-Ion battery (BATa). Once in a while, the Solarcell doesn't manage to charge the battery enough. It's crucial that I have 3.0 to 4.1 Volts on my VSYS but the voltage will drop below this value if the Solarcell wasn't able to do its job (cloudy weather, vulcano eruption [joke], dirty cells, etc).


My Plan: I've come up with the idea to feed the VSYS with a additional, hotplugable backup battery (BATb) which does get connected to VSYS if BATa drops below ~3.1v.


So basically I need a Low-Voltage-Cutoff (using a Z-Diode with a Mosfet?) which, when cutoff happens, opens another Mosfet..?


schematic


simulate this circuit – Schematic created using CircuitLab


I'm not sure about the selection of M2 and how to wire it, so it will be conductive if M1 won't forward power anymore.


And I know about another electrical problem: Just using a Z-Diode (D1) with M1 will render M1 to something like a resistor, not a switch. I've read, that I could use something like a Shut Reference (i.e. TI's TL43xx). Again I'm not sure how to chose the correct one and how to wire it.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...