Saturday 31 October 2015

Negative to Positive Voltage Converter


Is there an easy circuit or IC that will convert negative voltage to positive voltage and retain the initial value? Context below.



I am trying to add a volt meter to my power supply using some old parts I have lying around. My power supply is two 2-12V channels, one positive and one negative. I have an adc that can take anywhere from 0 to 5v. To start, I have a voltage divider on my channel output to my ADC so that my max voltage on both channels is just under 5v. However, I don't think my ADC can take negative voltage. I only have one 7 seg display, so I am using a switch to decide which voltage I am measuring.


On my ADC there is a VCC, +VREF, and a -VREF. I have VCC coming from my rectifier and my VREFs are coming from my regulated output. Initially I was using the switch to swap both VREFs depending on the channel. For example, my positive channel would have +VREF on my regulated positive output, and -VREF would be ground. On my negative channel it would switch so my +VREF was ground and -VREF was my negative output. This would still provide up to a 5v drop to my ADC for measurement. However, it doesn't seem to work that way.


My theory is that the 5V VCC doesn't change, so when I switch to my negative channel, it becomes much more than 5V relative to my VREF. So I want to put a negative to positive voltage converter on my negative output so that the ADC will receive a 5v drop relative to the initial ground. I just have no idea how to do that and all google seems to give me are positive to negative converters. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!



Answer



How about a simple inverting amplifier:


$$ Vout = - \frac{Rf}{Ri} Vin $$


schematic


simulate this circuit – Schematic created using CircuitLab


Ri at around 10Kohm can be a good starting value. Choose Rf to scale the output voltage such that it is always within the output voltage limit of the opamp and the input limit of the ADC.


No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...