Friday 6 March 2015

audio - How to wire sennheiser headphones to an iphone headphone cable


I have a pair of these (or something very similar) :


The plug failed so I chopped it off and was hoping to wire it to a plug on a spare pair of iPhone headphones I had kicking around. Both sets of headphones have a button and microphone so I figured it wouldn't be too hard.


I was wrong. The iPhone cable has 6 wires (one white one hiding inside the red/green combo) and the sennheiser only has 4 - white, red and two coppers. I did a very quick test to see if just holding some of the wires together would give me sound in one of the ear-pieces - nothing, though I'm confident both cables are fine.


Is this maybe to do with laminate on the wires themselves? Do I need to connect red to red and a ground? I'm a noob so don't know what a ground does in audio cabling.



I would appreciate any pointers. My plan is to twist the wires together (like this - youtube) rather than solder. I also have some heat-shrink tubing.


There is a diagram of iphone pinouts here -


here are my cables:


sennheiser iphone




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...