Saturday 21 March 2015

ADC over-voltage input protection while keeping accuracy?




i just want to get the idea for the input voltage protection for a fully differential ADC.


The analogue voltage inputs supposed to be 0-5v, but someone being careless could plug a higher voltage (up to probably around 20v) by accident and blow the ADC.


I have seen zener regulation/clamp circuits, but upon trying them realized that they of course produce a voltage drop. The voltage needs to be unaltered from the one the user puts in, so this does not work for me.


So, what I need is a way to protect my ADC inputs from over voltage as high as ~20VDC or more but still be able to accurately read a 0-5V nominal analogue signal without altering the voltage reading.


and my power supply for the board is 5V, so i only want to limit the input signal to 0-5V. yeah, of course the Voltage must be above 0.


besides, i have only found one overvoltage/undervoltage from TI , It is TPS2400 , but the range of the protection voltage is 3 to 6.9. it's not suitable for me.


so , is there any programmable VOP and UOP chips that i can use? the ADC that i use is ADS5272enter link description here


Any suggestions? Let me know! Thanks a bunch in advance!


i posted the Zener diode grafic enter image description here see that , from -Vz to Vf it is not linear, and i thing it must have an effect on the input singal for ADC





No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...