Sunday 15 March 2015

signal - Using an earthed function generator with an earthed oscilloscope and ground loops


I have a function generator and I noticed that its DC GND is internally wired to its earth pin.


Similarly I have an oscilloscope and I noticed that its DC GND is also internally wired to its earth pin.


So now If I use this function generator with this oscilloscope(with 3-prong power cords) wouldn't there be a ground loop?



If so, should I use 2-prong power cable for one of the instrument to eliminate it as a solution?


EDIT: An illustration for the question:


enter image description here


On the left side the box represents the function generator, on the right side the box represents the oscilloscope.


Circles represent the BNC connectors.


Number 1 and 3 are analog grounds of the function generator and the scope.


Number 2 is the GND shield of the coax cable, where the coax cable is connected from function generator to the scope (i.e. function generator and scope GND are connected)


Number 4 is the earth wire


L, N, E are the line, neutral and earth pin of the 3-prong power cable.




No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...