Wednesday 18 March 2015

7805 for 4-20mA current injector


I'm trying to setup a low cost current injector for testing certain I/O modules. I found a rather simple design for a current source using 7805.


schematic


simulate this circuit – Schematic created using CircuitLab


So I tried making that and changed the resistances to match my requirement. I have a 24 Volt source on the test rack, which powers the I/O modules as well. Since this is a low cost project, I used the same power supply and ended up with this. -->


schematic


simulate this circuit


This circuit worked perfectly when I tested it with a multimeter. It gave 3.6mA to 20.1 mA.


However, while testing with the I/O module, the current through the load (I/O module's internal resistance) never went above 15.6 mA. The I/O module has a floating ground and therefore an isolated current measuring setup. But when I touch the heat sink, the current rose to 20.7mA Thinking this might be due to the capacitance effect from my body, I added a capacitor between the input and GND(what I could find lying around in the workshop was a 35v 100uF). Now I see that the output is in the range of 3.6mA to 20.8mA.


I am not literate enough to calculate the correct capacitance required or evaluate whether this setup is reliable.Please advise.





No comments:

Post a Comment

arduino - Can I use TI's cc2541 BLE as micro controller to perform operations/ processing instead of ATmega328P AU to save cost?

I am using arduino pro mini (which contains Atmega328p AU ) along with cc2541(HM-10) to process and transfer data over BLE to smartphone. I...